Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Microwave: Stuffed Chayote Recipe

I have really wanted to use more Chayote in my cooking.

Chayote is a zucchini-like Mexican vegetable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chayote

(Image source: Wikipedia, By Prathyush Thomas - Own work, GFDL 1.2, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=40701354)


Also, I was intrigued by the Stuffed Chayote Recipes I had seen, for example: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/special-stuffed-chayte-squash.

All I did was:

Boil the whole chayote in water for about 15 minutes.
This made it semi-soft. When the chayote cooled, I sliced the chayote in half, length wise.

Then, I used a spoon to scoop out the center of each half.
I saved the pulp in a separate container.

Then I gathered a can of mushrooms, salsa, and carrots & peas.
Got some leftover onion out of the frig and diced a small amount.
Got some bread crumbs out of the freezer.
Got the imitation bacon bits out of the cupboard.

I mixed a full spoonful from each of the cans of mushrooms, salsa, and carrots & peas with the pulp I saved.
Added a good dollop of bacon bits.
Stirred the whole mixture together.

I added spoonfuls of the mixture to each half of the chayote.
Topped the mixture off with diced onions and bread crumbs.
Microwaved for about five minutes on high.




I liked it. It reminded me of my mom's stuffed zucchini.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.