Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Monday, March 7, 2016

Cabbage Crazy Salad

When I looked back at my Crazy Salad post, I realized that was the beginning of my crazy salad experiments. This is an update.

After I found that a head of lettuce went bad before I could eat it all, I got a head of cabbage and tried that. I liked it. It is different. But, it makes a great base for a crazy salad. Plus, it keeps for several weeks in the frig.

If I worry about it going bad, I just cut a half or quarter of the head, drop it in boiling water for a few minutes, then freeze it. The frozen cabbage can be used in my Universal Skillet Dish or other cooked cabbage recipes.


Cabbage Crazy Salad

Base (Choose One)
1-3 Tablespoons per serving

Chicken, cooked and diced or canned, or as chicken salad

1/8 Head green cabbage, sliced into short thin strips
Rice, cooked, or Spanish rice
Salmon, canned, plain or as salmon salad


Step One - the Base


Other Ingredients (Use What You Have)

1-2 Tablespoons per serving

Vegetables
Artichoke hearts, 1-3
Avocado, slices
Beans, canned, black, red, or Chick peas
Beet, slices or cubes
Broccoli, pieces
Carrots, sliced or grated or shredded
Cauliflower, pieces
Celery, diced
Celery, sliced or diced
Chayote, sliced
Cheese, white, cubed
Cucumbers, sliced or diced
Green or red pepper, sliced or diced
Jicama, thin slices
Leeks, diced
Mushrooms, sliced
Olives, black or green, sliced
Onion, red or white, sliced or diced
Palm hearts, 1-3
Radishes, sliced or diced
Tomatoes, regular or cherry tomatoes, sliced or diced


Fruit
Apples, slices
Pineapple, fresh or canned, chunks
Raisins


Toppings (Use What You Have)

Croutons or toasted bread cubes
Imitation Bacon bits
Parmesan cheese


Seasonings (Choose one or two)

Curry powder
Ground black pepper
Paprika


Final Step - adding the extra ingredients


Note: I often don't use any dressing because the salad has lots of flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.