Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Friday, January 2, 2015

Spinach and Egg Sandwich

While the picture below is of a "simple" egg and spinach sandwich, it was days in the making.

I had had difficulty making hard-boiled eggs using my own RKFNC recipe. But, I realized that the original recipe was developed when I had access to a propane gas stove top, now I have an electric stove top.

This particular stove top heat levels seem to vary from the propane gas stove top, so I reverted to my standby hard-boiled egg cooking instructions. They are easy.

Hard-Boiled Eggs Method 2
  • Place eggs in a bowl.
  • Place bowl on counter to let eggs reach room temperature.
  • Fill a pot with water, about 2-3 inches from the top of the pot. Need enough water to cover eggs.
  • Add a dollop of vinegar.
  • Bring water to a vigorous boil.
  • Use a slotted serving spoon and gradually lower one egg at a time into the water. Go slowly, it will help keep the egg from cracking due to the change in temperature.
  • Once all the eggs are in the pot.
  • Set timer for 10 minutes.
  • Remove pot from burner at the end of 10 minutes.
  • Remove eggs, one at a time. Place into bowl.
  • Run water over eggs to cool them off.
Note: I had to run water for awhile to get the eggs to cool.

I did not attempt to shell an egg at that time.

Now, I had a bag of spinach I had bought several days before. It seemed urgent to cook the spinach before it went bad. I was nervous. I hadn't cooked fresh spinach in years. I wasn't quite sure how to approach cooking it.

After looking at various recipes. I found one on Simply Recipes.com (http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/spinach/) that pointed me in the right direction. As usual, I had to adapt the recipe to the appliances and quantities I had. Here's my recipe.

Easy Cooked Spinach

1 clove of garlic, diced
1 package of fresh spinach
1 dollop olive oil
  • Add olive oil to large microwave glass casserole dish.
  • Add garlic.
  • Cook on high, one minute in microwave.
  • Rinse spinach in a colander to remove grit.
  • No need to shake off all the moisture. It will be useful in the microwave.
  • Add spinach to casserole dish and cover.
  • Cook 2 minutes on high in microwave.
  • Stir spinach.
Note: Spinach should be very wilted and moist.

So, now I had cooked spinach and hard-boiled eggs. The experiment continued.

Hard-Boiled Egg and Spinach Sandwich

1 dollop olive oil
2 slices of multi-grain bread
1 hard-boiled egg
1 serving of cooked spinach
1 teaspoon mayonaise
Black pepper
5-8 capers
1/2 teaspoon Basil
  • Add olive oil to small skillet.
  • Lay one slice of bread in the oil to coat one side.
  • Lift bread out with a spatula.
  • Add the second slice of bread.
  • Place first slice on top with the oiled side up.
  • Cook until underside of slice is brown.
  • Flip slices, so the top slice can get brown.
  • Remove slices.
  • Place slices on plate, side by side, toasted sides down.
  • Spread mayonaise onto one slice of toast.
  • Shell, peel and slice a hard-boiled egg.
  • Place slices of egg onto one slice of toast.
  • Top egg slices with black pepper, capers and basil.
  • Add serving of spinach to other slice of toast.
  • Fold two slices of toast together.
  • Slice sandwich in half.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.