Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Monday, January 5, 2015

Mac & Cheese Stuffed Apples with Bonuses -- Updated

Mac & Cheese Stuffed Apples
(Adapted from: http://domestikatedlife.com/2014/10/04/mac-and-cheese-baked-apples/)

This was an interesting recipe to adapt for my kitchen.

I usually cook for one. Plus, I do not have an oven, so I have to convert portion size/ingredients and baking times to microwave times.

I had two apples, I had been meaning to use for something. Where I got the idea to look for stuffed apple recipes I don't recall but I found this Mac & Cheese Baked Apple recipe and it looked like something I could do.

Ingredients:

Pasta, 1 small bag of ribbon pasta
2   dollops olive oil
3   Tblspn flour
1   Cup milk
2  Tblspn parmesian cheese
1  cup grated cheese (I used gouda)*
s/p to taste
2 red apples

Directions:

Pasta

Cook pasta according to package.
Add a dollop of oil to water to help keep the pasta from sticking together later.
When done, drain pasta in a colander.

Cheese Sauce

In a large saucepan, add 1 dollop of oil.
Cook at medium heat.
Add in flour and stir until smooth.
Gradually add milk, stir, and cook until the sauce thickens.
Add parmesan and grated cheese.
Stir until sauce is smooth.
Add pasta to sauce.
Stir until pasta is fully coated.
Season with s/p to taste.

*The original recipe called for a sharp cheese. I used Gouda cheese and it seemed bland in this mac & cheese. 




Apples

Slice off about a 1/2 inch of top of apple. Save it to use later as a lid.
Using a melon ball scoop, scoop out the inside of the apple to create a deep, wide hole for the mac & cheese.
Fill apple with mac & cheese. Pat it down with a spoon. Fill to the top.
Place apple "lid" on top.



Microwave 6 minutes on high.
Remove from microwave.
Remove apple "lid" and spoon or pour juices over apples.

I cut my apples in half vertically and then into fourths.


Bonuses

With this recipe, there was plenty of mac & cheese leftover for other meals. Also, I could not throw out those apple ball cores, so I decided to make a dessert based on the Apple Crisp recipe in Recipes from the Kitchen of a Frugal Non-Cook.

Apple Ball Core Dessert

apple ball cores from two apples
6  tspn oatmeal
1 1/2 tspn sugar
3 tspn flour
2  tspn butter
cinnamon

With the apple ball cores in a bowl, add additional ingredients. Make adjustments to the ingredients to suit your situation.
Stir mixture until apple core balls are coated.
Sprinkle with cinnamon to taste preference.
Microwave on high for one minute or until apples are soft and warm.

Guess what, no disasters!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.