Quote

"I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object." -- Thomas Jefferson

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Basic Stovies

Basic Stovies

I could not find the source of my original recipe. I found plenty of other recipes like this one from All Recipes:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Stovies/

While the basic Stovies recipe is boiled potatoes mixed with cooked onions and corned beef, when I found this recipe, it seemed simple and I could make variations of it later. As usual, I had to my  "Use What I Have" method.


Here's the original recipe:

8 red potatoes, peeled and cut in half vertically
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup butter
Place potatoes halves in a pot with 1/2 inch water or milk
Season potatoes
Cook on medium heat for 15-40 minutes

Here's my revised recipe:

Electric Two-Burner Stovetop Version:

Ingredients:


2 medium, white Mexican potatoes, peeled and cut in half vertically
about a cup of milk and water mix
1/2 cube of chicken bullion
black pepper
garlic salt
a dab of olive oil

Instructions:

add milk and water to pan to fill with 1/2 inch of liquid.
add chicken bullion and stir.
set potatoes in broth.
season with black pepper, garlic salt, and a dab of olive oil.
cover.
cook on low for 15-40 minutes until done.
check to make sure they don’t stick.


Microwave Version:

I had 1 potato and the leftover broth from making the stovies. I poured the broth into a glass casserole dish; cleaned and peeled the potato and placed the two halves in the broth and seasoned. I cooked the potatoes in the microwave for 15 minutes and it came out --- drum roll -- Perfect!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to write a comment. I love to hear from my visitors.